Skip to navigation
Helping You Seek Positive Results With Compassion, Drive, & Grit SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION

How to Help an Adult Child Arrested in Texas for DWI 

Aug. 24, 2022

One of the worst calls you can get as a parent is the call from a child telling you they’ve been arrested. Even if it’s your adult child involved in a DWI arrest, you want to help in any way you can. It’s important not to panic and to remember that your child is innocent until proven guilty. You can help by understanding what will happen next and how an experienced Texas DWI attorney can protect your loved one’s rights. 

What Happens After a DWI Arrest? 

If the police arrest your child for DWI in Texas, it’s important to ensure that your child gets an experienced attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can also help guide both of you through the process after a DWI arrest.  

1. Booking 

Immediately after your child’s DWI arrest, the police will take them to county jail for booking. Booking may take several hours. You may need to call your local police department where the arrest happened to locate your loved one if you haven’t received a call. 

2. Car Impounded 

Typically, the police will impound and tow the car during a DWI arrest unless someone sober is also there to take possession of it. If the police had the car towed, you might be able to help by locating and retrieving it. Call the arresting agency, whether the local police or the sheriff, to ask where the car may have been towed. Towing agencies often rotate through service for police calls, so the company can change from day to day. 

3. Picking Up Your Loved One 

Typically, for a first DWI arrest, your loved one will face arraignment before a magistrate the morning after their arrest. If they aren’t sober yet, they may have to wait until the next morning. Most DWI defendants will be released on a surety bond through a bondsman. You can help by arranging for bond or bail and picking them up. Your child’s attorney can also help make arrangements. 

4. Hire an Attorney 

Many people think that they can handle a DWI on their own. It’s an open and shut case, right? Wrong. The best thing you can do to help an adult child arrested for a DWI is to ensure they have a skilled criminal defense attorney well versed in handling DWIs. The Law Office of Kenneth W Mullen PC has years of experience defending DWI cases. After reviewing the case and the state’s evidence, your attorney can suggest possible defenses, plea options, or other solutions to protect your child’s rights and future. 

Hire an Experienced Texas Criminal Attorney 

If you have a child facing DWI charges in the Weatherford, Texas area, they need a skilled criminal defense attorney by their side. Attorney Kenneth W Mullen PC is a seasoned Texas with many years of helping his clients through DWI charges. Find out how he can help you. Call The Law Office of Kenneth W Mullen PC at 817-406-9596 or contact us online.